Question:
can you get sick from being cold?
portlanddancer123
2006-01-05 16:22:32 UTC
i argue daily with my parents about this. you can't get sick from being cold!!!!! they don't believe me! i know when you're cold, it weakens your immune system or something like that and then that makes you more vulnerable to catch a cold but that doesn't mean that you will infact catch a cold. i mean, can't you wear a tshirt outside on a cold day and not get sick? my parents think you can. i need some facts here people. my parents need to be persuaded. help!
Nine answers:
JuliaM
2006-01-05 16:39:48 UTC
This is one of the most persistent myths about colds. The only way to catch a cold is by being exposed to a cold virus. Cold air may irritate an existing condition, such as asthma, which would weaken your immunity. This could make your body more receptive to a cold virus, but only if you come in contact with it. If you've caught a cold after getting chilled, it's only coincidence.

I hope this will convince your parents. You can get hypothermia from being cold, but that is about it.
2016-05-20 08:56:52 UTC
Some say that that evaporation or moisture from the nose helps cool the dog. Another is that added moisture in the nose makes the dog more sensitive to odors. A folk tale that goes back to biblical times gives yet another answer. As the story goes, God bestowed cold wet noses on dogs for saving Noah's Ark from sinking. One of the two dogs Noah had chosen was on patrol when he discovered water seeping through a hole in the Ark’s hull. The clever dog instinctively stuck his nose in the small hole to keep water from flooding in. The second dog ran off to alert Noah, who quickly then repaired the hole. The dogs averted a major disaster, thus saving the day for all those aboard the Ark. God wanted to reward them for their heroic act. He gave them a cold, wet nose, a symbol of good health. Though it is true that a cold, wet nose can be a sign of good health in a dog, it is not a reliable barometer. According to the “Dog Owner's Guide”, the canine nose is normally cool and moist, but not wet. It has no sweat glands; the moisture is caused by the mucus lining. Another misconception is that you can tell how your dog is feeling by touching its nose. If your dog’s nose is hot, then it might have a fever. But if it’s cool, it’s feeling just fine. While our furry friends certainly will appreciate the attention, the nose is not an accurate gauge of temperature. A pet with a fever could have a warm, dry nose. It’s just as likely, however, his nose could be cool and moist. Don’t trust your hands to take an accurate temperature. You still can tell a lot about the health of your dog by looking at its nose. If you notice any of the following, you'll want to consult your veterinarian right away: discharges that last more than 24 hours, swelling, odor and or difficulty breathing. These things can be symptomatic of the presence of a foreign object, tumors, or sinus/respiratory infections.
Sweetask
2006-01-06 00:49:24 UTC
NO NO NO!!! You cannot get sick from being cold. A cold is caused by a virus. This is a never ending myth. Constantly being subjected to cold without a coat ( in weather that is below freezing) can lower your immune system's defenses against that cold virus and make you more susceptible to the virus.
2006-01-05 16:30:24 UTC
Well if you are too cold like below freezing in water, then yes you can get hypothermia. But if you go outside with a t-shirt in cold weather you will not get sick. The only way to get a sick (a cold) is to catch bad germs.
beauty_queen
2006-01-06 09:08:43 UTC
NO!!! you can only get sick from bacteria or germs or viruses. dressing inappropriately (causing you to be cold) can lower your immunal resistance and leave you more receptive to becoming sick. the only reason they tell you that is so you will wear more clothes.
kylee89kw
2006-01-05 16:36:00 UTC
if your body is cold your body is concentrating on warming u up which means less energy is used to fight of infections or virusis (sp) like a cold. You wont always catch a cold but u are more vunerable.
bdd814
2006-01-06 11:27:24 UTC
You CANNOT get sick from being cold. There are viruses that cause sickness not temperatures.
princesskei96
2006-01-05 16:30:17 UTC
listen to me you can get sick when you are to cold. your body has a temp. of when it's to cold and when it's to hot. you can get sick wearing a t shirt
Brokekid
2006-01-05 16:32:06 UTC
Just from the temperature alone, no, I don't believe you can. But it can lead to all other sorts of health issues, hypothermia, frost bite, susceptibility to illness...