Question:
Should I be taking a calcium supplement? At what age should you start??
purrs4peace
2006-02-02 13:57:57 UTC
Should I be taking a calcium supplement? At what age should you start??
Three answers:
swbiblio
2006-02-02 21:42:58 UTC
I assume you're concerned about osteoporosis. It depends on how much calcium you're getting in your regular diet, what your family history is, your personal health history, even something as seemingly unrelated as how much caffeinated soda you drink (seriously!). Calcium is important, but Vitamin D is also important because it helps your body to absorb the calcium.

You should get at least 1,200 milligrams of calcium (up to 2,000 mg) and a minimum of 400 international units of vitamin D every day. Check the packaging of the foods you usually consume to find out how much you're currently getting.

Check out the following website for a wealth of information on osteoporosis, including prevention.
chrystal_lynn2002
2006-02-02 22:37:15 UTC
Anytime you need calcium for bone grownth and for healthy new growth tissue, basicly if you have bones take it lol

Also symptoms of not getting enough are restless sleeping and muscle cramps.
amber c
2006-02-02 22:01:55 UTC
u should take calcium supplement as early as ur 20s especially if ur not getting enough from ur diet...start early...prevent bad things from happening later...:)